This year Joe's company underwent some restructuring due to being bought out by Cannon. Mostly the changes have had light impact on our lives, but a few months ago they told us they were changing the vacation schedule structure from a fiscal year to a standard year. The old way started in November and Joe took his first vacation over Christmas, but now that wasn't possible. Not that staying home was a bad thing, we just so enjoyed Pennsylvania and Ohio last year.
The lack of an extended vacation wasn't the only thing that changed this year. Our artificial tree broke during take-down, so we looked and looked for another one. We couldn't stand most of the ones we saw, and we definitely didn't like the price tags. So we thought we'd go with a real tree for a year and hit the clearance after Christmas.
I also decided I needed to be a better mom and let my kids help decorate this year. They did a pretty good job.

Though, well a certain little girl doesn't quite get the concept of "spread the ornaments around" yet.

I also made several new ornaments for the tree. I have lots of crocheted snowflakes, but I put a lot of thought into how to make some in a more spindly fashion (with starch stiffening) instead of doily style.

Once the tree was up I couldn't get the presents under it, so I cut off a few branches and made a wreath for my head. I wore it quite a bit, and ended up filling several special requests from friends.
The lack of an extended vacation wasn't the only thing that changed this year. Our artificial tree broke during take-down, so we looked and looked for another one. We couldn't stand most of the ones we saw, and we definitely didn't like the price tags. So we thought we'd go with a real tree for a year and hit the clearance after Christmas.
I also decided I needed to be a better mom and let my kids help decorate this year. They did a pretty good job.

Though, well a certain little girl doesn't quite get the concept of "spread the ornaments around" yet.

I also made several new ornaments for the tree. I have lots of crocheted snowflakes, but I put a lot of thought into how to make some in a more spindly fashion (with starch stiffening) instead of doily style.

Once the tree was up I couldn't get the presents under it, so I cut off a few branches and made a wreath for my head. I wore it quite a bit, and ended up filling several special requests from friends.
Here are the kids on Christmas:

We didn't get a white Christmas this year, but woke this morning to canceled church and just enough fluffy white stuff to hide the grass and freak out the Southerners. As behind as I've been running all month I don't begrudge the sky being a bit tardy.

No comments:
Post a Comment