Friday, July 30, 2010

James' Baptism

I'm sorry, this has been a crazy summer. Sometimes I wonder how warped I'm going to get from running at Warp 5 all the time.

So here are the pics from James' baptism. Grandma Boyer, Aunt Bobbi and Uncle Aaron, Uncle Joe, Uncle Eli, and Aunt Gwen and Uncle Keith (and children) were all able to make the trip to come. Other families with one or more members in attendance were the Bambargers, the Biggers, the Champagnes, the Cummens, the Missionaries the Ellsworths, the Littles, the other Littles, and the Stevens.

P1020342.jpg

P1020360.jpg

P1020341.jpg



Mom played the piano, something we often skip in our ward, so it was good of her.

Brother Ray Little gave the talk on Baptism, which ended up being a long conversation between James and Ray on the topic. James amazed everyone with his grasp of several important concepts. I was proud, very glad we had taken a little time for review the last week, and a little surprised that he had grown in understanding since our conversation.
People think that because he's getting into mischief that he isn't listening. It's not that, he's just bored because he got it the first time he heard it. I remember being a lot like that, though admittedly, he's smarter than I am in some ways. He's "scary smart."

Kind of like his Uncle Joe, who baptised him.

I cried.

Sister Jenny Stevens gave the talk on The Gift of the Holy Ghost. She did a great demonstration where several of us banged pie plates while James tried to hear the 1st Counselor Brother Dewey Little read a scripture. Naturally James claimed to be able to hear past all the noise of his "sins", but well... I couldn't.

Then James received The Gift of the Holy Ghost, and acting as the mouth piece was Uncle Aaron, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Afterward we had a few snacks and went home. It wasn't anything fancy, which is how it should be, the focus was on the ordinances and being there with James as he crossed this important threshold. I was very proud of him for making this choice. He very much wants to be part of his Heavenly Father's kingdom.

2 comments:

  1. I am grateful that we were invited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too! It was great to be with the family on such an important occasion. I'm proud of you all! Jay did his first act of service as a member the very next morning when he set up the chairs in the Primary room before church services started. Sigh. The time was too short. It was hard to leave!

    ReplyDelete